Monday, August 23, 2021

Me, my Guru – on ego!

 

Contd..

Me, my Guru – on ego!



The Guru just kept walking towards the ashram”

I sat with my head hung in shame. I thought I knew about ego! There in lay my ego. I assumed I knew better. I couldn’t be more wrong! And there lay my ego!


We were restless when our Guru was given a break. We weren’t ready to wait. Why should we wait? We felt our need to be addressed fully then and there. We were adamant for our desire and in there lay our ego. We were angry at her break. We didn’t see her tiredness. We never bothered about her needs. For us, she was there to cater to our needs and wants. In that selfishness laid our ego.


Our anger we dumped on her. We never sought her forgiveness. And even if we did it was without any regret or remorse. It was not because we realized our wrong. It was not because we were ashamed of our behaviour towards her. It was just an act of formality to please her ego (as per our assumption!?). It was done so that we didn’t incur any ‘karma’ because of our act. We didn’t want to accrue any karma because of our act and behaviour but at the same time we were not even repenting for our behaviour. We still didn’t realize that we had hurt her. In all this lay our ego!

Contd....

# on ego, Me, My Guru, king and the guru - story, 

also read : https://kantipadam.blogspot.com/search?q=elephants+represent+ego


Pointers in this post : 

"The  Guru kept walking....ashram" - Read the previous post once again to understand this statement. See how the person who is doing 'nishkama karma' or working through his egolessness/spirit does the 'right karma' and yet moves on after completing the job. The person who walks the path of Dharma doesn't keep promoting himself. He doesn't market himself and his 'goodness'. He doesn't demand returns for his 'good deeds' or right sense of judgement and actions. He does it and moves on. It just becomes his nature. That is walking on Dharma.

"I sat with my head hung in shame. I thought I knew about ego! There in lay my ego. I assumed I knew better. I couldn’t be more wrong! And there lay my ego!" - Whenever we 'assume' we know, know that ego is at play there. We sin in the name of 'knowing'. 

"We were restless.....in that selfishness lay our ego" - We are ever demanding in our relationships - be it with children, spouse, parents, relatives, country, Guru or even God. We look at what we WANT AND SHOULD GET in every relationship. Know that to be play of ego. When we look at every mistake the other commits know it to be ego. When we keep count of what the other is supposed to do for us and presume we have done enough for them, know it is ego. Ego kills everything in a relationship. Love never hurts. It is the ego that is in relationship that becomes the seed of hurt.

"Our anger we dumped on her......hurt her. ....ego" - We project our anger, frustrations, irritation and everything in that line on every relationship. We justify our emotions saying '..but they didn't do this or they did this maam...' Have you ever stood in other's shoes and felt how they felt while you were shouting so? Think about it! And yet, we complain, we are 'the sufferers' in the relationship?



No comments: