Monday, July 8, 2024

Me, My Guru – On karma explained – Bhagavatam

 


Me, My Guru – On karma explained – Bhagavatam





Today, I wasn’t in a good mood. I was agitated. I was irritated. So, it took quite a bit of hard work from my end to push myself towards ‘class’ today! Honestly speaking, I was in no mood to come. But, Rahul’s phone call did the trick. He always reached me when I was low. I don’t remember what he said. But, I always ended up coming to class. And the good part of this story was I went back home less stressed and relieved. This has happened so many times over the years. And yet, I still remained my brooding, complaining and excuse-using type.

I came and sat at the back. I was late for the class – but obviously! Rahul smiled at me when I took a seat. He seemed both happy and relieved.

Our class was in progress as I entered. Someone asked, “Why did Guru Drona and Bheeshma, who were following dharm all their lives die in the Kurukshetra war?”

Our Guru smiled and replied “That is exactly the question Rukmini asked Lord Krishna after the war. And very lovingly Krishna replied “Yes indeed! All through their lives, they followed Dharm. But, their one act of adharm brought their death in the war! When Draupadi was being insulted and disrobed in the “Rajya sabha” they sat silent being the silent spectators of the ‘grave sin’ that was being executed there. One who commits the sin is the ‘sinner’. He will reap its consequences accordingly. But, one who is a silent spectator of that wrong being committed is a ‘greater sinner’ than the perpetrator of that sin as per Dharm. So, they faced such a death in the Kurukshetra war due to their ‘that sinful act’ – that they were part of during ‘Draupadi vastrapaharanam’. Your good act (punya) can’t be used to negate or do away with the repercussions of your wrong act (paap). 

As soon as our Guru concluded completing Krishna’s answer, one among us pounced on her with the next question “But Karna was such a data (giver, philanthropist, generous person). He never said no to anyone who came seeking alms from him. He even gave away his kavach (armour which became one with his body and skin) and kundal to Lord Indra when Indra sought alms from Karna. He knew giving it away would be fatal to his life. He knew by doing this, he would become vulnerable to death and yet, he gave happily. Then why did he die in the war?”

Continued.....

# bhagavatam, Krishna and Rukmini, Karna, how karma works, karma, one act of injustice can overdo the lifetime of good done.

Read the link to learn more on this topic https://kantipadam.blogspot.com/2021/02/on-receiving-consequences-of-our-karma_4.html 

Questions addressed and points to ponder:

  • Can our negative acts be negated with right acts?
  • Can we cheat karma?
  • Are good and bad  karma balanced and the person faces the balance that is remaining only?




1 comment:

Kshitija said...

Thank you.
This post gave me a clarity on what I am going through but I am not able to take the stand . I am scared I feel myself to be a coward for not taking the stand . I will work on myself