Thursday, November 2, 2017

on being successful!





Contd........


On being Successful

Did I encash my talent?

No.

So, is it right that that person said I am not successful.

Yes and no.

Yes in practical sense.

But no – because not everything that we have need be converted into tangible asset. Even in business and economics, there is something called as ‘goodwill’ which is not a tangible asset and yet a very important asset for any company.



Like-wise many abilities or talent can give a person intangible benefit or a return which is much more than just being successful. For example if one writes or even if one enjoys good poetry and can recite them at the drop of a hat, the joy it gives to that person and to the listener who has ear for good literature/poetry is immeasurable. This can be appreciated only by a person who has taste for such intellectual joys – the one who measures everything by food, clothing and money can never understand the joy of reading or relishing a good book or poetry. That doesn’t mean it is waste.




Same with music! It soothes the player and the listener. I may not perform to earn but even if I perform for myself say ½ an hour/week it uplifts my soul. Can a dumb head value it?



So it is with dance, art or any form of creative ability. It neednot be a means to earn your livelihood. It could be just to express yourself and that too not for public eye even. Now it is good only if it is put up on FB/instagram but even if I don’t get 50 likes (I don’t know how many likes is termed good enough!) the joy of cooking a dish is as I cook it and the one eating it if relishes/remembers even years later! Isn’t it? Do I have to sell my ‘dish’ to feel the utility of cooking well? Every time someone remembers it and relives the relish they experienced while eating it is the purpose of cooking. Think about it! This may not be a success story but is certainly is not useless or talent gone waste. Right?

So instead of converting everything to monetary returns look at its purpose and the benefit it has given to the user or some other pupose. Then you’ll know whether the talent is ‘waste’ or has served the purpose.

Rabindranath Tagore says in his Nobel winning book Gitanjali “they serve him best who just stand and wait”.  (and again a lazy person can interpret this to their advantage...but You my students wouldn’t understand it their way I am sure!)

Just give it a thought.......

And here I remember one of you telling/explaining (in comments section) once about how your grand mother’s just presence was good enough and there was no need for her to be useful to others....that applies here too............

Concluded..........

No comments: