Thursday, November 10, 2016

Me, My Guru - To quit or not to!






....contd......


All these years, I hadn’t put on any effort in the direction of being disciplined. Whatever discipline I had I was haughty about it and belittled others if they didn’t have it. But what about ‘good habits’ that I didn’t have?


So before quitting I should make sincere effort first!


We were still in this topic when Madhu joined us. She shared her experience to support the quotations.


“I was well past 40’s when I decided to learn classical dance. I was the oldest in the class – obviously. It took really lots of mental strength to stand along with tiny bundle of energies in the age group of 6-11 years. Honestly speaking I felt a bit ashamed too!


But I thought, I had ‘life situations’ that didn’t let this ‘desire’ of mine to find expression. If not now, never! I worked on my fear of ridicule and attended the class with tiny tots. Contrary to my belief, these kids were very helpful. I had presumed their behaviour based on the behaviour based on the behaviour of people in 20’s or 30’s age group. But these kids were very warm and totally non-judgemental. I was principal of a reputed school and so was used to having students being afraid of me all these years and now seeing them being so open and friendly was welcoming. I had so much to learn from this students or kids by way of conduct and attitude!


Every day, every part of my body ached and every day I decided to quit. But the kids would say “same thing happened to us initially. Don’t worry, it’ll go away”. Their promise to meet me ‘tomorrow’ forced me to attend just one more class. My pains didn’t go away completely. Body does remember its age though I don’t. But, mind longs to try and experience the joy of learning every day. My mind has won over body since then. And today I am glad I didn’t quit. Yes, it took me longer to learn ‘one single step’. So what? I was not time bound. For once, I was learning for joy, for the joy of learning. I wasn’t marks-oriented in my approach. Even my mistakes brought smile on my lips. When body said ‘enough’, I listened to my mind saying ‘just once more’ and am I glad? Today, I am part of dance performance conducted by my master.


So, I would say ‘Quitters never win and winners never quit”. It was so easy for me to quit and give up! No one would’ve found fault with it. I was answerable to none. Yet, I didn’t. I was afraid if I quit ‘now’, it would be stuck with me forever. And I was afraid my kids would quote me for quitting. I didn’t want that to happen. More than anything, I didn’t let ‘quitting’ become my habit. I am glad I stuck”


We were inspired by her experience for sure! I for one was lazy to start something new at this age – and what about failure. And isn't she a classic example of 'it's never too late to start learning anything good?'


...contd....

No comments: