Thursday, April 13, 2017

Me, My Guru - on Ramayana and Rama - Indian Mythology





Contd.....


Her voice cut through my thoughts before I could continue further “One of Rama’s spies came to him one day and said “Master, forgive me but I heard something every evil and sinful which I wish I hadn’t heard. But since it’s my duty to report everything to you as it is I, I seek your forgiveness and permission to speak out”.


When permitted he continued “One of your subjects drunk with anger and evil thoughts said to his wife who was away the whole night “Do you think I am a fool like King Rama who took Sita back even wise she had stayed in Ravana’s city for one whole year?” His wife pleaded innocence and said she had been at her mother’s place and yet he didn’t accept her inside his house.


Prior to this incident Rama had asked Sita Ma “Dear one, it is customary that a pregnant woman’s wishes are fulfilled and she is kept ever happy and satisfied. As you are pregnant, tell me what your heart desires and I’ll do anything that pleases you”.


In reply Sita replied “I miss our days that we spent in forest in the presence of those great sages. I wish that I get to spend a day in their presence in their ashram”. King Rama smiled and said “So be it!”  He could no longer be away from Sita even for a moment now. His love for all her had increased multi-folded. So he mentally thought of taking her personally to fulfill her wish.  But when the spy said those words Rama was shattered. He was split between his duty as a king and a husband. His love for Sita wanted him to let go off his crown and take Sita and leave for forest. But the ‘Dharma’ of the land as his ‘Dharma as a king’ demanded him to forego his personal happiness for the benefit of the society. He weighed his decision and it’s implication completely before arriving at a decision. 

contd....

No comments: