Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Discipleship






Bad Disciples and Guru

Jesus got up and served his 13 disciples saying “Let me serve you bread and wine today for today is the Last Supper that I share with you in this world”. Next he “washes their feet” giving them a “New command” – “Love one another as I loved you”.

His disciples started crying hearing his words and Jesus predicted “one of you will betray me today”. His favourite student Peter replied “I can never do that “ and to that Jesus replied “You’ll disown me thrice before rooster roosts tomorrow morning”. Peter started crying and saying “It can never happen so!”

But, it was to happen so as predicted by Jesus and Judas – his Apostle betrayed him for just 30 silver coins. And Peter did lie not knowing Jesus when asked by people thrice and he remembered the prediction made by Jesus when the rooster roosted the morning next. He cried bitterly for the sin committed by him.

This anecdote moved me deeply when I heard it first time and so it does even today. I cried for Jesus then as much as I do today. Why? To love one’s disciples and to make them Apostles when they were nobody before meeting Jesus and then to be betrayed this way shows the heights of ingratitude these disciples had for Him.

Not only that, it also shows how even if loved unconditionally the returns can be so painful. What more can be given by a master to a student. He made them Apostles. He gave them knowledge – knowledge that could give them eternal peace and immortality. He gave them position most covetous in the history of mankind. They could ever be remembered by all for eons to come. And yet, what he received was betrayal and denial.

Why do you think this happened in the first place? First let’s look at the case of Judas. He betrayed his master for mere silver coins. Agreed next day he realized his sin and threw the money in the temple and told the soldiers that he had betrayed an innocent man and out of guilt hung himself. But, does that condone him of his sins? No certainly not. And hence, Judas is the name given to any traitor.

....contd.....

1 comment:

Kshitija said...

I dont have any words mam please forgive