Thursday, September 11, 2014

On comparison



Me, My Guru



…contd….

I went and joined others. She was in meditation and say about an hour later, she opened her eyes.

‘Please tell us how to be?’ requested Rahul ‘what one attitude should we drop or develop to be peaceful and to be satisfied with life?’

‘Stop comparing’ she replied.  The answer was short yet clear. But, how and why comparing is to be avoided was not all clear.  This was not something ‘new’ to us. We have heard her say this umpteen times but why didn’t understand much. When she told us to, I would nod my head religiously and leave her premises. But, back in my world that was the first thing I would do!

“First, let me point out to areas where one compares.
1.      
           The most obvious and apparent to judge is the appearance and we immediately comment on that like –
a.she is more fairer than me
b. thank God! I am not as fat as she
c. Look at him. He is so fit and fine. Why can’t you be like him?
d. Praise the Lord, you are not disabled like him
e. Whenever I see someone with skin disease/baldness et like, I thank God for making me complete
I can give only few eg., please go through such comments that you hear or make….it applies to each one of them.  And from now onwards become aware of such statements and work on it accordingly….

…contd………..

No comments: