Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Veil



What’s the purpose of life?
Is there God?
Why did creation come into being?
……..and all such questions with regards to God, creation and religion can afford to wait.

Let’s address the immediate issues first. And the first and foremost would certainly be my own pains and pleasures. Why I should suffer this pain and how to increase the quota of pleasures and happiness in my life? This is the only question sensible enough to be addressed now. So, our journey has been all through about knowing the Self. Self that is assumed first needs to be understood, transformed and transcended to experience the real Self – The Absolute Truth!

The first and foremost requisite to know our life’s journey, purpose and ultimately God, is knowing the Absolute Truth about ourselves.

Now, What do I identify with?
a) My body
b) My thoughts
c) My feelings
d) My emotions – pain, hurt, frustration, attachment, anger, worry etc.
e) My name and fame
f) My possessions
….and the list goes on…

The identification that I make anything apart from the Truth is what is classically terms as ‘aham’ – ego.

The veil that separates me from my realization or knowing of my true nature constitutes of my ego – all that I identify myself with. It is with what I identify with that determines my actions and state of mind.

a) Suppose, I consider myself beautiful then my ego identification is with my beauty. So, my confidence and happiness rests on the level of beauty that I possess. One day, I develop a skin disease and lose the look then, I am a totally withdrawn, broken person. No more is there the cheerfulness in me. No more am I confident or arrogant as before.
b) If my ego identification is with my dancing abilities and I lose a limb or can’t dance for what so ever reason, the same fate follows.
c) So and so forth for every ego identification. Be it body, vocation, post, achievements, relationships, finance, assets etc.

But, I exist even when they are gone or they diminish. So, my identification with the Real Me that IS in spite of ups and downs in life will bring a major transformation in my attitude towards myself and my life. Remember the “Kingdom regained!” story.

My journey for few days to come would be just to come to terms with the fact that I am not all that I presume as MINE! I welcome you too to embark on this journey. Trust me, even a little understanding on our misunderstanding of self would help us to live with much lesser pain than what we are experiencing today.

में तनहा ही निकल पड़ा था मंजिल की तलब में
लोग मिलते गए और कारवां बंता गया..

I embarked on this journey all alone though
I kept meeting people and slowly I found a caravan making this journey.

revathi

1 comment:

sonia said...

I agree that most of the times we attach importance to the things that do not matter once we are dead. Money, beauty, status, caste, creed, profession, possessions we do not carry with us beyond this life. When something we strive for is achieved, we remain happy for some time and then look to achieve something else because it is simply not the “Done thing” to be satisfied. Even the richest man works hard to maintain his numero uno position.
I am looking forward to the next article in this series.