Friday, August 19, 2016

worm and the elephant





...contd....




I munched his words again and again. Even he didn’t seem bothered about the time lost in this silence.

It was then that others joined us and we all started walking towards other cages. Each was busy with talk of his subject, but Rahul and I were lost in our thoughts. May be they did but they were decent enough not to disturb our private line of thoughts.

May be an hour later, i started talking to Rahul “I’ve thought about it and I could apply it to everyone and everywhere.

Whenever I saw someone in a ‘better station of life’, I considered them to be like these elephants that don’t deserve all the love, respect and adoration that they received. No doubt, I didn’t like them. All this time, I thought I was angry with them and didn’t like them because of them. I justified my dislike towards them. But it didn’t occur to me that they reminded me of grandeur that I could presumably never achieve. It was my inferiority complex that came out as anger and dislike towards them. And many times, these ‘actual achievers’ or ‘people with talents’ never actually made a show of it and many times didn’t even mention about it or were aware of it. Not because they were humble, but because they were so lost in working on their talents and were focusing on achieving something in life. And yet their mere presence made me feel so ‘little’ and I hated them for making me feel so, when in fact they never did or said anything. It was my own nature or inability which I was ashamed of that I was angry about.

Instead of taking them as role models and be inspired, I felt threatened by their existence.

A knife is a knife. I can use it to save someone’s life or kill someone. How I use it decides if I am a saint or a sinner. If I become a sinner the onus of responsibility doesn’t fall on the knife.

Like-wise, people or situations don’t make or break me.  I use people and situations to make or break me.

Am I ‘smart enough’ to get inspired by people or ‘foolish enough’ to go into break-down decides my fate" I laughed as  the meaning of my words hit my senses. I had applied it in various situations and people in my life and now could clearly see the stupidity of my behaviour very clearly.

“No doubt, ‘she’ always said ‘DON’T compare, don’t compare, don’t compare” and yet we would do it and say stupid statements like “I am more deserving than them or “they get things easier, then why not me”. 

When we compare we need to take all aspects of life of both the parties involved. But no, when comparing we usually see ‘others faults’ and ‘our goodness’. Like-wise we see our ‘problems’ and their ‘possessions’. No doubt nothing tallies and we feel cheated, angry and depressed.

...contd....

No comments: