Wednesday, March 21, 2018

On Retirement




On Retirement
Rest a while if need be but never retire!



One common statement that I get to hear often is “I want to relax and enjoy after retirement” or “I’ll do sadhan completely after retirement”. Most of the enjoyments like travelling, vacationing (and yes, vacationing is different from travelling. During vacationing I need not travel but just be away from work and spend time to do things that I love like pursue my hobby etc or spend time with near and dear ones may be just even at one’s own place or catch up on reading, movies and such activities that would unwind me effortlessly thereby making me more productive when I go back to work...) learning or maintaining a hobby etc are all postponed to retirement time, which by the way is very wrong way of planning and living. For one, can you be sure of being alive till then? Next even if you are, what is the chance of you able to pick up your hobby to learn – for eg. Martial arts, painting, dance etc which require physical agility and stamina that may be difficult to come by after retirement. Moreover most of us would be shy of going to learn it then because of being conscious of society. So in more than one way it is better to do them now, I mean learn and pursue the practice than later.
Next important question I would like to address is “What is your idea of Retirement actually?” How do you visualize your days after retirement?
If it is by any degree near to answer like
“I want to sit and relax and enjoy life as I worked hard all through my life”
“I don’t have to rush through life. I can get up leisurely, read newspaper, watch TV, eat, sleep, go for walk and catch up with family and friends.”
“Doing nothing and enjoying one long leisure day” then dear one, you are in for trouble. These are the definitions that spell death toll to our happiness, health and satisfaction.




No comments: