Thursday, February 1, 2018

Stories and all - Socrates – the wise man




Socrates – the wise man

Once a man came hurriedly to Socrates and said “Thank-God! I found you here. I wanted to tell you something”.

Socrates stopped him and asked “before telling me what you’ve come to tell me, answer my questions first. Are you 100% sure of what you are about to tell me?”

The man thought for a moment and said “not really, I heard it from my friend”.



“So you weren’t there when this happened nor are you sure of it yourself?” asked Socrates.

“No, I can’t say I am sure of it” replied the man.

“Then, what you are about to tell me, will it be useful to me?” asked Socrates.

“Not really!” answered the man after thinking for a while.


“Well, then is it something good?” asked Socrates.

“Not that I think of” replied the man.

“So you want me to listen to you talk something bad which is useless to me and which you are not sure of!” asked Socrates questioningly.


The man stared at him for couple of minutes and left with head bent.

No comments: