Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Me, My Guru – Indra and I

 

Contd.....

Me, My Guru – Indra and I 





Now our Manda was a student – a good one too (in studies) who had learned and studied Upanishads and other great texts under his Guru. So, he didn’t argue senselessly. He didn’t need lengthy explanations. One question was enough to make him realize where and how his line of thought was going wrong. He immediately fell on Brahmin’s feet and said “Dear sir, you have opened my eyes. You shook my ignorance that came because of my ego and arrogance in me! You can’t be a normal mortal! Please show me your real self!”

Brahmin immediately regained his original luminous form and said “Son, get up. I am Lord Indra – the one you’ve been accusing of having caused wreak in your life. Now, with your senses regained, I am pleased with you. Ask for a boon!”

Manda immediately replied even without waiting for a second “Let my Guru come back to me and may he be relieved of the pain that I have inflicted on him by my actions and words! May he forgive me and accept me as his student again!”

Lord Indra was much pleased with Manda and blessed him so. Next moment, his Guru stood smiling in front of him. Manda knew he was forgiven with one look on his Guru’s face. And yet he fell on his Guru’s feet out of shame, regret and remorse. His Guru lifted him up lovingly and said “When given a boon, you sought my forgiveness instead of your family and material possessions that you lost. I am much pleased. Here, I bring back your family and all in your life – once again!”

Manda fell at his Guru’s feet out of realization of his guru’s love. He led a life worthy of his Guru’s expectations and made his Guru proud in all the years to come!” so saying our Guru concluded the story.

It was time for break. She had some personal work to attend to. And we needed the ‘break’ for introspection. So many questions came up as we discussed the story among ourselves. And out of the brain storming came our understanding that we put in front of her when she came back.

“Fool is one who seeks material comforts, possessions as a boon!”

Contd.....

# right and wrong, dharma, freedom, purpose of life, challenges of life, body spirit balance, ignorance, illusion, maya, Guru, role of Guru, boon, curse, desires, karma, ego, blessing, material benefits vs real wealth, abundance, 

also read : https://kantipadam.blogspot.com/search?q=nalayani 

Pointers in this story :

“When given a boon, you sought my forgiveness instead of your family and material possessions that you lost. I am much pleased. Here, I bring back your family and all in your life – once again!” - Here it is not be understood as God/Guru are egoists who want to be flattered to get your job down. They are not desperate for our praises. Then what does this line mean? Every choice we make will give us our results. Manda could also have chosen his family and his possessions. Indra would still have given him that. That way also he would have got back what he lost. This is the way a 'mind that is selfish' thinks and acts! He may get it but would lose it eventually and end up being left with nothing again - one way or the other. Not because his Guru/God would curse him for choosing materials over them, but it is the nature of the 'things of this world' to be gone from life. Everything comes with expiry date.

Then what to do? Ask for the highest - be it your Guru's grace/love/blessing or God's bhakthi/grace/companionship. Then with that you would also receive the things of this world (which would also go away after their time) but you would still be left with the Guru/God by your side. 

Is this point clear or confusing?





No comments: