Thursday, September 22, 2016

Me, My Guru - On perception - Bhagavatam





...contd....


You can never understand someone just by looking at their behaviour in couple of situations. Two acts externally may look similar but one is committed by the sinner and the other by the Saint. The act doesn’t make them good or bad people. 

Their intention and reason to act makes it a sin or a noble act.

For example:

In situation A, I hit a person because he is not behaving as per my desire/I hit to get him to do my work/to usurp his belongings/because he insulted me.

In situation B, I almost killed a person to save a girl’s modesty.
In situation B, I’ve committed a bigger crime but it is not considered one as the act is to save a girl’s modesty. There is no personal gain there. Yes, I will be punished by law of land but in actuality, that girl and others who know the truth would praise me, thank me and respect me.

Whereas in situation A though the harm inflicted is less, the crime is bigger as the intention is wrong. People who know the truth will never respect, trust or praise me. Of course law may give very small punishment or sometimes no punishment for such crimes, but that doesn’t mean I am not a criminal when I commit such crimes.



At the same time, one can’t argue saying ‘if killing a person is fine to save a girl’s modesty, killing someone who insults me or troubles me is also right’. Right example in the wrong place doesn’t justify ‘wrong answer’. One can argue such cases and even behave like-wise. But it doesn’t become ‘right’

That’s all!

In these situations, if you just look at court’s ruling or look at the acts committed you would no doubt think Saint to be a sinner and a sinner to be a Saint. Only when you know the complete picture what you ‘see’ of that person would be ‘right’. Till then, though you may argue based on facts and figures that you have, you are never right. Unfortunately, you’ll presume yourselves to be right when you are completely wrong.

Similarly acts of great people if seen topically can be interpreted to our whims and fancies and we can pain them with colour of our choices. It’s just that the whole exercise would be not only waste but can drive us towards wrong understanding and thereby effecting our rational thinking altogether – which is ever so dangerous.

“Man’s character is tested in a given circumstance ONLY”.

...contd....

No comments: