Monday, January 20, 2014

Me, My Guru



Of Goodness


"Guruji, please tell me of goodness" I implored when I saw her trimming her plants humming a tune.

She replied even without turning her head "Goodness cannot be a fixation. If one is good, it doesn't make the other bad.  For one to be good, other need not be bad.  Good stands on it's own.  If you are good in lots of ways and still are wanting in few areas, it doesn't mean you are bad.  Goodness is no goodness if it is relative.  Many times good is only relative not absolute.  It ceases to be a virtue if it is practiced as one.  If you are good out of fear, shame or because of lack of opportunity, then your goodness is no good."

"If you are good in lots of ways and still are wanting in few areas, it doesn't mean you are bad. What does it mean? "I asked.

"I get up early in the morning.  That's a good habit but it doesn't make me good. Though many of us confuse our habits with our character and credit ourselves goodness and suffer being good. 

But I don't exercise in the morning inspite of getting up early or say I don't bathe till 10 am, then that doesn't make me bad.  It just means I don't exercise, that's all. It usually is read as what's the use of getting up early if not exercising? Or she is bad because she doesn't bathe till 10 am.she doesn't have that habit - that's all.  It doesn't mean she is bad."

I wanted to apply it to so many people and in so many situations to understand it so I didn't ask her anything else...

I just left her with her plants and I moved into myself....

No comments: