Saturday, May 23, 2009

Illusion

Dog-bone Logic

Once a dog named Budduram found a dry old bone. It caught it in its mouth and started chewing. As the bone had become very hard, it cut the jaw of the dog and the dog started to bleed. The dog started enjoying the blood with the assumption that it was oozing from the bone. One Buddha saw what was happening, understood the danger the dog was in and so told the dog “Stop chewing that dry and dirty bone. It is harming you and you are bleeding”. Budduram laughed at the Buddha and said “You are jealous of me. Do you take me for a fool? As I am chewing, I am getting the blood. So, the blood is coming from the bone and so I’ll not spit it.”

The Buddha tried in vain to make our Budduram to see the reason but to no avail. He felt helpless, sorry for the dog and left the place. Budduram continued his chewing and died of internal bleeding.

The dog’s logic was “When I am chewing the bone, I am tasting blood. So the blood is coming from the bone. When I was not chewing, I didn’t taste blood. If it’s my blood, why I didn’t experience it then?”

This type of argument is what I term as “fundamentally illogical logic.” Dog presumed the blood to be oozing from the bone. This assumption or understanding is what is classically called “Maya” or “Illusion” and the logic called as “Dog-bone logic”.

This logic is well used by one who wants to experience pain, anger, frustrations, depressions, jeolousiness, possessiveness and such emotions which bleed us to death. These emotions are nothing but the manifestations of “Maya” or “Illusion”.

Just like the dog, we presume the blood is coming from the bone and keep chewing it till we bleed to death. And the symptoms of chewing the bone and thinking that the blood’s coming from the bone are:
a) I am basically a good person, but get angry because of him/her.
b) I am suffering pain because of them/situations.
c) I am frustrated and not at peace and not happy because they are not behaving as per my prescribed way /situations are not conducive to my linking.

Like-wise, one who always finds a punch bag to experience pain, frustrations, anger etc., in others / situations is presuming that it is because of them when it is the pain, anger within them that is vented out.

It shows the person lacks Clarity of thought. He/she is ruled by “Maya” and will see/understand what he wants to understand irrespective of whatever the Truth may be.

The only way you can beat Maya in this game is by being “Mindful”, “aware”, “alert”.

And the sadhan techniques are –
1. let go meditation
2. forgiveness meditation
3. rebirth meditation
4. homam
5. hands on, hands on and nothing like hands on

Is it not time we stop living a life that is unreal? A life - that is just a figment of our imagination? A suffering - the cause of which is unreal?

Then work yourself out of this Illusion as it is self created and experience the freedom in Truth………..

Wishing you all the best for the for the shift from Buddhu to Buddha is
revathi

1 comment:

Supriya said...

So true. It happens over and over again. We think we are becoming buddhas with each experience. But the truth is that we end up making the same mistake at every level. True learning comes when we start seeing ourselves for who we truly are and when we start questioning our actual intentions behind our acts.

When I look back, I can see that the way I look at this post and the meaning of it has changed (for me) over these years.

Thank you ma’am!

Supriya