Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Situation is neither good or bad



…contd….

When the situation is based on ‘Dharma’ then it is absolute.  For eg: rain in rainy season and weather being hot in summer is as per ‘Dharma’ of the Nature.  It is right as per the ‘Rule of the Seasons’.  So, having good rains in rainy season is ‘good’ ONLY even if it causes displeasure to me or inconvenience to me.  It is ‘good for ALL’.  It is ‘not relative’ here.

Earning money to run the family is the ‘Dharma’ of any person who is married.  It is ‘right’ to earn money – be it anyone.  But, if the means is not right, then as per ‘Dharma’ it is not right for anyone.  For eg: if I am a trader and I sell items with a margin, it is right as per Dharma.  But, if I create a fear of shortage or practice such dubious ways of making money in my trade, then as per business sense it may be called ‘good strategy’ but as per ‘Dharma’ it is ‘wrong’ for one and all.

I have given only two examples, but I am sure you can recollect lot from our classes.  I hope it is clear!



 

1 comment:

Mona said...

Thank you. Yes it is clear. But the dharma referred to here, is the conscience no,not the rules laid out by society. I feel it's a misused word in epics. For example-
In Mahabharata, for every wrong thing done by them, they have a simple response "I'm doing this as per Kshatriya dharma" they even justify gambling one's wife as if she's some object. And all the elders hang their heads in shame but do nothing. Because as per the then prevalent "dharma" (or I think it was like a society rulebook), it was technically not wrong.
Shouldn't people follow their conscience, which sometimes might be against the society's norms?